Jaguar XE Forum banner

Roof bars

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  ksammut69 
#1 ·
As the boot is not very big, and I'm planning a driving holiday in France next year, I've just phoned my dealer to order some roof bars. I was told they would cost me £208 inc VAT. I was then asked if I wanted them fitting. When I'd bought bars for a Mercedes and later, a Volvo, the dealership demonstrated fitting them, which I'd found useful, so I said yes. I was then told it would cost £260, because the roof strips have to be removed to fit the bars. I cancelled the order, and will wait for Thule to produce some.
Is it the case that the strips have to be removed every time the bars are fitted, or is it a one-of thing, to get them positioned right for the future?

#3 ·
I suspect the dealership doesn't sell many roof bars for the XE. I took my car in this morning to have the ICT Pro update, and while there asked for an explanation of how the bars fit. The parts man came to show me. The car he led me to was an XF estate. When I told him that my XE didn't have the raised rails, and then took him to an XE to show him, he was surprised. He's getting bars in for an XE as a learning curve, and will give me a free demonstration of the fitting and a good price on the bars.

#4 ·
Hmm, a bit strange he hadn't noticed but fair play for arranging a bit of discount and free fitting. First time fitting is fun as you have to set the width of the bars perfectly and place the positioning stickers in the front door frames to get the right spacing, plus a few other little touches. But once it's been done they are very quick and easy to remove and re-attach.

#5 ·
Morning all! I've just bought roof bars for my '17 plate Jag XE. Jaguar told me there was rubber between the clamp and body work, but there isn't and appears to be metal on metal. I'm worried this is going to damage the paint work if I put them on. What's your experience of this please?

#6 ·
I have used Thule roof bars for years on my previous Audi's and have found that the lower clamp which is painted metal does not mark the paintwork at all.

Out of interest, what width are the bars on the XE as I have 2 sets of bars which may be of use.

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.