Jaguar XE Forum banner

DAB Radio problems

4K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  fraser 
#1 ·
Anyone know how to retune the DAB radio to Radio1,2,3,4, and the rest. I've done everything the book says and all I can get is local DAB radio stations, any advice would be gratefully received. As I haven't got much hair left I'm afraid to pull any more out.

#2 ·
If my car is parked in front of my house I cannot tune the DAB is it seems to be a bit of a dead spot. Have you tried driving to a more open location close by?

#3 ·
DAB stations are grouped in various "ensembles" depending where you live.
BBC radio has it's own and where I live I also have a London one plus a few more for Bucks Berks and Herts.
It's been a while since I tuned an XE but on my most recent Evoque you could access each "ensemble" then scan through the list saving favourites.
Same system on the Ford Sync 3 system on my current Ford condom.

#4 ·
I've had the car 21 months now and never had this problem before. I don't like F.M. on the Jag it's too scratchy going in between transmitters. It got that bad the other day I had to go to USB stick. All manageable but infuriating trying to get a constant clear station and South Devon isn't that bad an area for reception

#5 ·
I use DAB for the more Rock orientated stations such as Absolute but find DAB cuts out completely quite often when driving around, and that drives me nuts. I thought DAB was meant to be the dogs danglies but in my experience it's not as good as FM for reception.

#6 ·
The problem with DAB, like most things digital, is it is either off or on. If the reception gets below a certain level you don't get crackly sound you get nothing. I used to have to go through a tunnel every day going to work and the DAB just cut out so mostly used FM, also near where I live the reception cuts in and out. I only use DAB when I'm up around the city, but do appreciate that the UK coverage is probably better than here in the colonies

#7 ·
I lose DAB also in certain local areas, but I've got the Infotainment system setup so that, when that happens, FM is automatically put on instead. This is pretty much seamless (surprisingly given the Infotainment system's other foibles!) and thus there is no audible break in radio reception.

#8 ·
Bear in mind not all DAB stations are national so they have limits.
I normally listen to Heart London but on the extremeties of that the car used to switch to the next local "Heart" station automatically.
Same music just different presenters.
When I cleared it's brain prior to trade in it binned all the radio selections and left me with some FM station and I haven't used FM for years.
The difference between FM and DAB was like night and day.

#9 ·
One of my Jaguars had poor DAB reception - I assumed it was dead transmission spots but my next car was perfect. Must therefore have been a faulty aerial or connection. I suffer few if any drop outs in my current XE. I guess technology also improves over time (some of it anyway lol).

#10 ·
I generally drive between Exeter and Bridgwater with occasional trips down to Reading, but it doesn't matter where I went never a problem. Just been the last three months. It seems like something was wearing out, other than me,

#11 ·
mickxe said:
I generally drive between Exeter and Bridgwater with occasional trips down to Reading, but it doesn't matter where I went never a problem. Just been the last three months. It seems like something was wearing out, other than me,
I am located in North Somerset and regularly drive up to Bristol. DAB reception never seemed to be an issue, but I also have noticed a lot more drop outs over the last couple of months. It has got so bad now that I rarely use the DAB stations unless actually up in Bristol where reception does not seem too bad. FM stations are fine.

I'll see how things are when it comes to service time and if still an issue maybe I'll get the dealer to check the antenna.

#12 ·
I've got to say the signal for both DAB and FM in my XE is the worst I have ever suffered in any car I've owned. FM crackles and DAB just disappears when I an driving local roads in Wales. Travelling on the motorway and things are fine. I think I read some where that it's possible to buy a booster, is this correct?

#13 ·
Well, after doing a lot of research through various means, I've managed fixing the FM problems (mainly by reading the manual) and I've also been told there can be a problem somewhere at the base of the areal for the DAB problem, presumably in the shark fin. Usually quite common in other vehicles as well. More investigation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.