Buying tomorrow......but audio question

New to the Jaguar XE Forums? Introduce yourself here
GavinG

Buying tomorrow......but audio question

Post by GavinG » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:39 pm

Greetings!

I've been researching XE's for over a month now and I believe I've found my girl, a March 2016 with 38k miles and FJSH, it's a bit 'older' than what I was hoping, but has various things I'm looking for grey colour, alloys, pano roof, rear camera, front park sensors etc

However I've been confused by something in the spec sheet, specifically 'InControl Touch Pro Navigation Pack with Meridian Digital Sound System (380W)'
When looking at the pics from the indy dealer I don't see the meridian badge on any of the speaker grills:

doorcard.jpg

headunit.jpg

I've spoken to the indy dealer and he says he is taking the spec sheet from Jaguar themselves, am I wrong in thinking there should be one of those meridian badges on the midrange grills?

I haven't seen the car in the flesh myself yet due to lockdown, but hope to arrange something tomorrow, but this has knocked my confidence in the knowledge I've built up :D

Thanks all, looking forward to finally getting one of these things and doing all sorts of mods

PS bonus question!

InControl remote, InControl App, InControl Protect, InControl secure SVT - that's going to mean it has a SIM card and I will be able to do the cool remote starting nonsense right? (with a subscription to the service)
Thanks again

Thorn

Re: Buying tomorrow......but audio question

Post by Thorn » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:00 pm

That's not the Pro in the photo, it's the entry level in control system, with the basic sound system. The Pro has a bigger screen and a CD player. The controls run under it rather than either side.

clivetay33

Post by clivetay33 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:09 pm

No definitely not the Pro system and the original system cannot be upgraded to make use of Android Auto or Apple Car Play. If it was Meridian it would be on the speaker at the top left of the door. All the reviews I have read say the basic system is a lot inferior to the Meridian. Finally the Jaguar build spec sheet is prone to errors so best to check any must have specs at the viewing.
Jaguar XE S Indus Silver 380 bhp black pack, cold climate pack 1, 18 way power front seats, memory pack with powerfold mirrors, 19 inch black alloy wheels, panoramic electric sun roof, advanced parking assist pack

IIRXES

Post by IIRXES » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:36 pm

If you have the chassis number, a few forum members have access to topix (although not me) and maybe able to pull the factory build sheet for you. But yep as others have said that's not InTouch control pro.
2015 XE S 3ltr Superbloodycharged Italian Racing Red with black pack and quad exhausts!

GavinG

Post by GavinG » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:41 pm

Urgh, that is what I feared :(

Really appreciate the replies folks, plus I didn't know about potential issues with the spec sheets, so thanks for all of that

I was pretty much sure I was going to end up buying one of those aftermarket units that add Carplay/Android (I have no fear in stripping out interiors to install mods) but if the underlying system is just the basic then I don't think I'd bother.
Just typical when I had fallen in love with it, it's a beaut :D
The wait must continue!

ChrisGB

Post by ChrisGB » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:14 am

It's worth checking with the dealer. It's not unusual for dealers to use generic photos, especially for interiors. Get them to email you a photo of the interior / dashboard of the car you are considering.
S 380, ICT Pro, Virtual Dash, resale grey. Fun and comfy!

Nuttyspark

Post by Nuttyspark » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:36 am

GavinG wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:41 pm
Urgh, that is what I feared :(

Really appreciate the replies folks, plus I didn't know about potential issues with the spec sheets, so thanks for all of that

I was pretty much sure I was going to end up buying one of those aftermarket units that add Carplay/Android (I have no fear in stripping out interiors to install mods) but if the underlying system is just the basic then I don't think I'd bother.
Just typical when I had fallen in love with it, it's a beaut :D
The wait must continue!
It's also worth pointing out that map updates are not available for this system. The last update I believe was 2019. Not an issue if you are fitting an aftermarket kit to get android auto etc but still worth noting.
2017 Dark Sapphire 180D. Cold climate pack, reverse camera, Meridian sound system and 10" touch pro. Oh and a fully functioning S/S. :o

BruceTheQuail

Post by BruceTheQuail » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:12 am

Our first XE had that system, but with the bigger amp - 380w?

The sound is fantastic from it and it plays spotify or USB's fine. I dont know that I would even recognise a CD if I saw one these days, you wouldnt miss that. I have it in my F Type as well but I'm not sure whether it is the louder one, the F Type audio isnt as good but it gets drowned out by the exhaust note anyway.

Jags that have carplay and android auto need connection through a cable. If I was going to go to the trouble of doing that, I'd just use a turntable while I rode my dinosaur to work.

I've used the pro system (no hard buttons on the side) and while it looks nicer, functionality is better in the ones with hard buttons at the side. We have the touch pro duo in our new XE, it also looks great and the surround sound is fantastic but I think it is fiddly to use and really the version from the 2016 XE was better. It has carplay and android auto and we dont use either for the reason mentioned above. Why a car that has cordless charging needs a cable for android auto is beyond me.
Last edited by BruceTheQuail on Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
2020 XE P300 HSE R-dynamic in Firenze lotsa goodies incl RWD!
Daily driver - F Type V6 S in IRR with many chav accoutrements, pulley and tune
2019 Mustang V8 manual in very subtle orange with many stripes
Gone but still loved - 2016 XE 25T R-sport in IRR

GavinG

Post by GavinG » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:34 am

ChrisGB wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:14 am
It's worth checking with the dealer. It's not unusual for dealers to use generic photos, especially for interiors. Get them to email you a photo of the interior / dashboard of the car you are considering.
Yeah the pics I posted are from their listing, it's the only XE they have :D

It's amazing the amount of listings on Autotrader have this 'InControl Touch Pro Navigation Pack with Meridian Digital Sound System (380W)' as one of the features, yet it looks exactly like this one, same headunit, no meridian badge on speakers

Thorn

Post by Thorn » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:51 pm

This is the Pro's home page

DFB161C4-A375-4852-9BCA-D452F1EF518D.jpeg

]]