The start of a very good terrible decision

New to the Jaguar XE Forums? Introduce yourself here
thebrettster

The start of a very good terrible decision

Post by thebrettster » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:43 am

Greetings from the US.

End of May I've purchased my 2017 XE 20d R-Sport second hand (under warranty). I needed a commuter that wasn't some boring ecobox since my other vehicles would bankrupt me due to my commuter and California fuel costs.

Since my start of ownership, I've been able to drive the car a grand total of 9 days. I will say, out of those 9 days, this is easily one of the best driving cars I've owned. Sadly, a few days after I purchased the car the CEL came on for the DEF sensor. I'm a mechanic by trade but I leave the jag to the experts (so I thought) at the dealer, not to mention its under warranty. I did notice an "owl type" noise around 1800-2300 RPM during acceleration and deceleration and a quiet noisy cold start. I stated this to the service advisor and addressed my concerns to check the timing chains as well as the trans oil cooler since there is a Topix write-up. Come to find out, it was the dreaded balance shafts. Since the engine was being snatched out of the car, I told them I would like the timing chains to be replaced and I would pay for the revised chains. Three weeks later, I get a call stating the engine was back in the car but the old timing chains were fine. The following day I was advised they did not know how to set the timing on the engine and started it out of time (but not to worry, it was only started on the lift). After some riff raff with Jaguar NA, the service manager, and myself having to pull updated part numbers since the dealer told me that they never revised the chains I finally got the car sorted. The engine was inspected for damage due to being ran out of time and I scoped the cylinders myself when I got home and saw no indication of any contact. The dealer did pull the engine back out and put in new guides and the revised timing chains which means the car should be pretty solid since the two problem childs have been addressed.

Nope, got the car back and there was not a terrible vibration which ended up being the motor mounts. The dealer replaced both mounts under warranty in a couple of days and I was advised the car was ready. Upon my arrival to the dealership after they loaned me another horrible loaner (sorry but the 2.0t petrol motors are a bit of a letdown) I noticed that they ran my car into something and damage the front bumper. The car now remains to be housed at the dealership with them addressing the damage to the front of the car.

Any logical person would cut ties with the car and trust me, I've debated. Being that diesels are becoming rare in the states but the efficiency is unmatched, I've decided to tough it out. The car handles like a dream, its got great looks and the fuel economy out of this car with the performance is fantastic.

Sorry for the novel, I'm at the point where I just laugh and hope I get my car back soon. It has now turned into a custody battle between myself and the dealership (I get visitations on the weekend).

Anyways, here is the my hoopty.

Edit: Some particulars on the car.
52,000 Miles
Previous owner had the car serviced every 7-9k miles at another Jaguar dealer
Auto start-stop has been disabled

E3JR8kyVIAEq6u7.jpg

2017 XE R-Sport 20d

Elsa_jag

Re: The start of a very good terrible decision

Post by Elsa_jag » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:37 am

Lovely looking car you have there. I also have a 2017 Rsport in 20d in metallic white, 180hp.

I have read about a few cars that have seemed like horror stories, mine has been very good so far. As you say, the fuel efficiency is great and unlike most efficient cars, the driving experience is fantastic too.

I hope that once yours has been put right it goes on to give you many years of good service.
Last edited by Elsa_jag on Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Carl

Jaguar XE, MY17, ‘66 reg R-sport, 20d 180ps auto
Jaguar XJ, 1994 S, 3.2 auto
VW T25, 1981 Westfalia LHD, 2.0 Aircooled
VW T5, 2006 Kombi, 2.5 Auto

147daytona

Post by 147daytona » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:19 am

Not a very good start to your Jaguar ownership experience and it also seems that it's not just here in the UK where the dealers haven't got a clue what they're doing. I always thought service was better in the USA, but obviously not where Jaguar is concerned.

Once you do get it back fully sorted, 🤞, I'm sure you'll be very happy with it as the XE is probably the best drive of anything else out there.
MY20 Carpathian Grey 300 R-Dynamic HSE AWD + loads of extras!
Previous, MY17 Italian Racing Red 240 R-Sport

thebrettster

Post by thebrettster » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:34 pm

147daytona wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:19 am
Not a very good start to your Jaguar ownership experience and it also seems that it's not just here in the UK where the dealers haven't got a clue what they're doing. I always thought service was better in the USA, but obviously not where Jaguar is concerned.

Once you do get it back fully sorted, 🤞, I'm sure you'll be very happy with it as the XE is probably the best drive of anything else out there.
No, it seems to be a global thing. I did purchase a subscription to topix just to see what was going on and the process on replacing the timing chains has no mention of any position the crank needed to be.

I was able to drive the car for the weekend before it went into the body shop and will say its running extremely well. When I first drove the car I did notice there was a bit of lag during initial acceleration which has seemed to sort itself. The only issue which they say is normal is a tiny vibration that can be felt around 3,000+ RPM.

I have to agree with you. They've loaned me an E-Pace P250, LR Evoque P250 and I'm now driving a 19 XF Portfolio 35T. I will say that 3.0 SC 6 does sound and performs very well, but the XE handles way better.
2017 XE R-Sport 20d

IvorB1H

Post by IvorB1H » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:15 pm

I have nothing useful to add but had to say I love the thread title 😂

Aren’t all the best relationships a bit of a pendulum 😊
On Order - XE R-Dynamic HSE P250 (now D200 :cry: :? ), Portofino Blue & toys
Current - E-Pace S D180, Silver - basic !