Jaguar XE Forum banner

Space Saver Wheel

48K views 88 replies 31 participants last post by  Fighterpilot 
#1 ·
Just a bit of information for anyone who may be thinking of buying a space saver wheel for their XE.

I have just bought my XE secondhand but unfortunately it came complete with a pump and a can of goo. From what I have read, even if it does work, use of the goo in most cases will cost you a new tyre anyway as the tyre companies will refuse to clean it out, so I decided to get a spare and all the necessary bits to go with it.

I had a look to see what was available and bought a brand new wheel and tyre on Ebay for £175.00 + £10.00 carriage (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Jaguar-XE-Space-Saver-Wheel-And-Tyre-T15-85-R18-95M-/281985174956?hash=item41a7a04dac).

I was hoping to buy a bottle jack which is much easier to use than a scissor type, but unfortunately the jacking points are too low when the tyre is flat so I was stuck with buying a Scissor. Didn't like the review comments I read on the cheapie scissor jacks so I opted for a Hilka one from Screwfix at £17.99 which had good reviews http://www.screwfix.com/p/hilka-pro-craft-1-5-tonne-scissor-jack/97595 and a Laser telescopic wheel brace also from Screwfix for £7.99. http://www.screwfix.com/p/laser-telescopic-wheel-brace-500mm/13244

Slight problem with the jack was that the slot width in the top was too narrow for the jacking point but 10 mins with a hacksaw sorted that out.

You could just fit the space saver wheel and not secure it in place but there are cables in very close proximity to the wheel and these could be damaged over time so I preferred to clamp mine in place. For this you need to buy a Jaguar Part Number T2H16831 which is a bolt which replaces the original item screwed into the bracket above the battery. This supports the boot floor in the centre and is fitted with a rotating clamp which secures the wheel in place. The first online price I found for the bolt was £12.26 + vat. I hate being ripped off and I bought online from SNG Barret £16.36 including vat and carriage and delivered in 3 days. http://www.sngbarratt.com/Home.aspx?b=UK

The jack, wheel wrench , tow hitch, electric pump and a set of jump leads all wrapped in an old towel fit easily under the space saver behind the battery.
I did look at replacing the boot floor, but I was glad I didn't buy one before I fitted the space saver. I really can't see any problem with using the original. It sits on top the spare and is still held in place on both sides albeit higher than it was before. It does wobble a bit if you press down on the sides but if that bothers you, you could glue some pieces of thick rubber or similar along the sides.

Total spend just under £230.00 and at least now I know if I have a puncture I may get away with a repair rather than a new tyre.

See less See more
#78 ·
Talking of gunk, I wonder how many people replace their can at the recommended intervals. I'm pretty sure I've seen it as a service item check. £100 a tin maybe from dealers if it's out of date?? :shock: :shock:

#79 ·
BOBCDP said:
Talking of gunk, I wonder how many people replace their can at the recommended intervals. I'm pretty sure I've seen it as a service item check. £100 a tin maybe from dealers if it's out of date?? :shock: :shock:
Just looked at the bottle I took out of my boot. Expired over a year ago :lol:

#80 ·
Kaikoura said:
BOBCDP said:
Is that Best before or Don't you dare use it?
And another thing, Will you be welcome at your local recycling centre clutching a tin of gunk under your arm? :D :D

#81 ·
BOBCDP said:
Kaikoura said:
BOBCDP said:
Is that Best before or Don't you dare use it?
And another thing, Will you be welcome at your local recycling centre clutching a tin of gunk under your arm? :D :D
You need to pack it in now Bob, that's the second time you've made me go out to the garage to check the bottle :lol:

The instructions on the label say "Dispose of this material and its container to a hazardous or special waste collection point", whatever that means.

#82 ·
Kaikoura said:
Chas379 said:
Also remember It is not recommended to refit a space saver wheel if used for more than 50 miles as the grip is already weakened in comparison to the normal tyres
Thanks for the tip. The AA website offers the following advice:

"There's no maximum distance but the speed restriction, limited tread (only 3mm from new) and softer rubber compound mean that the distance covered before repair shouldn't be excessive."
I had a puncture in SW Scotland on a Sunday evening, some 150 miles from my home in Cumbria. I used the spacesaver to get home, driving at around 50mph the whole way (to the annoyance of following traffic which tailgated me aggressively!). At 50mph at least, the handling of the car was not noticeably different from normal.
On removing the spacesaver and inspecting it, it didn't look any different from new, with no discernible tread wear so, after a quick wash, back into the boot it went for re-use if needed.
It seems to me that recommendations that after 50 mile of use spacesavers need to be replaced is over-cautious and probably reflects advice from liability lawyers.

#83 ·
I renewed my tyre gunk 2 years ago, getting it well in date off EBay (2023) It's the same Continental goo but marked FORD rather than Jaguar. The out of date was picked up on a service and the service receptionist suggested Ebay to save money. I think I paid £10.

#84 ·
Fighterpilot said:
I renewed my tyre gunk 2 years ago, getting it well in date off EBay (2023) It's the same Continental goo but marked FORD rather than Jaguar. The out of date was picked up on a service and the service receptionist suggested Ebay to save money. I think I paid £10.
Come on!! Tell us what you did with the old one 🤣🤣

#85 ·
BOBCDP said:
Fighterpilot said:
Come on!! Tell us what you did with the old one 🤣🤣
Sold it on ebay for a fiver? :lol:

#87 ·
Kaikoura said:
bik3rz said:
BOBCDP said:
Not more than 5 yds 🤣🤣
hehe, wouldnt think there's anything wrong in having sealants in tyres - agroculture uses them, cyclists use them. why not in cars? used such sealant on two occasions last year - tyres still good today
Interesting point, but unless it is some sort of Top Gear challenge or Guy Martin record breaking attempt you don't normally see tractors or cyclists doing 70 in the fast lane of a busy motorway. Also there is the possibility that someone could re-inflate a tyre that had damage considered irreparable under current guidelines. In the handbook there is a warning about first checking the position of the puncture before attempting the repair.

While I was checking the handbook I noticed that the maximum distance you should drive with gunk is 200km and the same 80kph/50mph speed restrictions apply as with the spacesaver. There are other warnings such as not using the gunk if the tyre has been driven while under-inflated and avoiding sudden braking or steering manoeuvres.
there is that, totally agree, but obviusly not talking about massive holes/cuts. the way it works it's sealing hole under pressure first then it dries and works as glue - at least the gunk for cyclists. the one for tractors is even better i think :?: , as pressures/weights are considerably bigger than in cars, so it must be proper sticky to seal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.