Fitting wing mirror dynamic/sweeping indicators (a short guide!)

Interior and Exterior bodywork Faults and Fixes
GavinG

Fitting wing mirror dynamic/sweeping indicators (a short guide!)

Post by GavinG » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:45 pm

Hopefully this will inspire anybody thinking of fitting said indicators! It's a 5 min job per side.

I think we can agree that the factory fitted mirror repeater is trash, it's barely visible in daylight (they're like this on many cars imo).

Have a look at this before and after video I took:

Waaay better, right?
Only cost 28 American cash dollahs! And only 3 weeks to get to Ireland, so imagine similar for UK. (This is the particular seller I used https://www.aliexpress.com/store/911293 ... 4c4dMzam4D but I'm sure they're all much of a muchness)

What you get:

box.jpg

Well packaged:

packaging.jpg

Contents (you get a trim tool and a torx driver):

contents.jpg

Detach mirror from its support bracket:
Use controls to adjust mirror so that it's at its maximum angle pointing INTO the car, this will leave a gap on the outer side of the mirror housing so you can fit a trim tool in to unclip the mirror from its housing.
In the pic below I have highlighted (in red) the main points at which the mirror clips onto the adjustment motor, aim your trim tool at one of these, I suggest the one at about 4 or 5 o'clock, once you've unclipped it from one point you can just unclip the rest with your fingers, it's pretty easy.
With that out of the way, you need to find the clip highlighted in yellow and just lift it up with your finger, it's not very tight, so really easy to do.
Once you've lifted this clip you'll notice the mirror housing lift out a little at the existing indicator, this gives you room to run your trim tool along the indicator to release the rest of the clips, again really straightforward, doesn't take much persuasion!

housing glass.jpg

Out with the old, in with the new:
You will be left with the below, remove the two torx screws highlighted, unclip the electrical connection and lift out - you may have to 'jiggle' the indicator a little to remove, but again, really easy.
Slot in the replacement indicator and screw and connect it back up.
Pop mirror cover back on, there's no real way to explain how to do this, I might suggest starting to clip it back on at the lowest point nearest the door, in any case it's not rocket surgery, you'll get it back on without issue if you've gotten this far!

housing indicator.jpg

Then pop the mirror back on it's adjustment motor, it clips on super easy, you're done.

I urge you to give it a go if you like the look of it, it's super super easy and cheap as the proverbial.
I can try to answer any questions if you have any, enjoy!
2016 R-Sport
Carpathian Grey
Pano roof
Rear screen sunblind thingy
19" Venoms (need a refurb!)

Mod guides:
Side mirror sweeping indicators
LED front & rear indicator bulbs & reversing light (no canbus errors)
Illuminated sills

ant_in_wales

Re: Fitting wing mirror dynamic/sweeping indicators (a short guide!)

Post by ant_in_wales » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:31 am

Having replaced a dead one of these, I can confirm that it's an easy job.
And these parts look cheaper than the bog-standard replacement.
It's a tempting upgrade, thanks.
MY2016 Prestige 163 Auto, Red with Oyster Interior

Bluefire

Post by Bluefire » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:11 pm

That looks an interesting upgrade - more modern and also more visible.

I'll post a link to this over on the sister F-Type forum if that's ok Gavin.
2.0 200 Bluefire R-Sport
Templar wheels, Meridian sound, Advanced parking, Climate pack + Heated rear, Aluminium Paddles - of course :)

Indianajons

Post by Indianajons » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:36 pm

Can’t say I’ve ever noticed anyone’s wing mirror indicators, animated or not, when determining whether another car is turning.... always look at their main indicator lights
2017 MY tempest grey Portfolio 180D, folding mirrors, 14 way seats, memory pack, cold weather pack, 360 parking, wi-fi hotspot

Dragos

Post by Dragos » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:56 pm

Hi,

Tempted to do my one, XE 2016 R-sport diesel, 180HP, wonder if this will fit: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001260 ... 4c4d1yLdBH

GavinG

Post by GavinG » Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:17 pm

Bluefire wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:11 pm

No permission necessary from me anyway!

Dragos wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:56 pm
Hi,

Tempted to do my one, XE 2016 R-sport diesel, 180HP, wonder if this will fit: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001260 ... 4c4d1yLdBH
They look ok to me, although they are a little cheaper in the store that I linked to and we know for sure they fit.
To be clear I have no affiliation or anything like that with the store I linked to :D , I don't know what country it's even in (just assume China)
2016 R-Sport
Carpathian Grey
Pano roof
Rear screen sunblind thingy
19" Venoms (need a refurb!)

Mod guides:
Side mirror sweeping indicators
LED front & rear indicator bulbs & reversing light (no canbus errors)
Illuminated sills

Growler Parts

Post by Growler Parts » Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:49 pm

Hi, I have fitted these very same wing mirror indicators onto my XE, but instead of removing the mirror glass I just got a firm hold onto the bulbous part of the door mirror cover and lifted it up swiftly to remove it giving access to the two screws to remove the indicator panel and fit the new - very quick! :D

Dragos

Post by Dragos » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:13 pm

GavinG wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:17 pm
Bluefire wrote:

Dragos wrote:
Hi,

They look ok to me, although they are a little cheaper in the store that I linked to and we know for sure they fit.
To be clear I have no affiliation or anything like that with the store I linked to :D , I don't know what country it's even in (just assume China)
Thank you for answer. Can you post a link what take me directly to part what you buy it? Link what you posted take me to Aliexpres generic page. Thanks

Dragos

Post by Dragos » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:17 pm

GavinG wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:17 pm
Bluefire wrote:

Dragos wrote:
Hi,

Hi,

Are this what you buy it? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002 ... 2094330341

Thank you.

IIRXES

Post by IIRXES » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:38 pm

I fitted mine about a month ago, the pics make the product look cheap but the reality is they look so much better in the "flesh".
A worthy upgrade imo
2015 XE S 3ltr Superbloodycharged Italian Racing Red with black pack and quad exhausts!