DA Polishers - Any Advice?

Interior and Exterior bodywork Faults and Fixes
ant_in_wales

DA Polishers - Any Advice?

Post by ant_in_wales » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:08 am

I've had my The Jag over two years, and am feeling a bit guilty about the lack of TLC and it being outside near the sea all the time.

I am considering getting it polished and waxed, then thought about doing it myself with a DA Polisher.

There are lots of these - from £70 in Halfords to over £300 for the Meguiar's.

Is there a price/quality sweet spot? Which products to use with it? (M's Colour Restorer, polish and wax?)
MY2016 Prestige 163 Auto, Red with Oyster Interior

BruceTheQuail

Re: DA Polishers - Any Advice?

Post by BruceTheQuail » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:25 am

Look I wouldnt, personally. I've had one and preferred doing it by hand as I was worried about damaging the clearcoat. I used it on one car and really didnt like it.

What is very low effort for detailing is to use a very mild clay with a decent clay lubricant - I use a Carpro Polyshave block with a decent clay lubricant (I use NV Purify), the a decent carnauba wax (I use polish Angel "Passion" on my red cars) followed by a spray on Wax (not silicone based which I find is staticky and attracts dust) - I use Polish Angel Rapidwaxx. That is a once a year thing that takes maybe a half a day although that includes a few hours here and there between coats, in actual work time it is probably 3/4 hour.
2020 XE P300 HSE R-dynamic in Firenze lotsa goodies incl RWD!
Daily driver - F Type V6 S in IRR with many chav accoutrements, pulley and tune
Gone but still loved - 2016 XE 25T R-sport in IRR

ant_in_wales

Post by ant_in_wales » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:30 am

Thank you Bruce - mentioning the specific products you like is very much appreciated.

Fighterpilot

Post by Fighterpilot » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:57 am

I bought a polisher several years back and found it to be cumbersome. It was meant as an amateur tool. The better more expensive ones are very good but they have to be used very carefully. My choice is elbow grease, 8 hour labour intensive. First I hose to get off the gritty bits, snow foam, wash again (two bucket method) rinse, dry and then use a clay mitt (Farcela) with a diluted wash wax for lubricant. Rinse again with a hose, dry with drying towels and then apply Autoglym Resin Polish. Buff off and apply Autoglym Extra Gloss protectant. That needs around 20 mins to cure before buffing off. Clean the windows on the car with Astonish window cleaner. Buff off the Extra Gloss protectant and stand back and admire the shine. Tyre dressing is applied with Meguirs tyre gel. I use and old sponge to apply it. That is my method. It does take time but the result is really good and the polish lasts about 4-6 months.( longer if you use Demon Shine at every interim wash.)
R Sport 180D 2015

Jeff123

Post by Jeff123 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:37 pm

I have fancied one for years but not plucked up the courage to do it. On videos it looks easy, but I suspect that there is a skill/art to it. If you have a second car that’s somewhat older, it might be worth “practicing” on this one first. The key, I think, Is to be very careful around the edges of the panels.
XE R-Dynamic 180d Eiger Grey MY20

lexie

Post by lexie » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:28 pm

The polishers from Halfords etc aren't worth bothering with, they rattle themselves to bits after a while and are very basic for the money.

I bought a DAS6 dual action polisher kit from cleanyourcar.co.uk about 4 years ago for about £115, at the time. I phoned to ask which was the best kit for Jaguar paint and was recommended this one with the Sonax polish and pads.

I still apply and buff the final wax layer by hand, but the machine gets the surface like glass. Something I wish I'd bought years ago.
R-Sport 200ps Ammonite grey, parking pack, split fold rear seats, space saver, 14 way seats

chrisjp

Post by chrisjp » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:21 pm

Fighterpilot wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:57 am
I bought a polisher several years back and found it to be cumbersome. It was meant as an amateur tool. The better more expensive ones are very good but they have to be used very carefully. My choice is elbow grease, 8 hour labour intensive. First I hose to get off the gritty bits, snow foam, wash again (two bucket method) rinse, dry and then use a clay mitt (Farcela) with a diluted wash wax for lubricant. Rinse again with a hose, dry with drying towels and then apply Autoglym Resin Polish. Buff off and apply Autoglym Extra Gloss protectant. That needs around 20 mins to cure before buffing off. Clean the windows on the car with Astonish window cleaner. Buff off the Extra Gloss protectant and stand back and admire the shine. Tyre dressing is applied with Meguirs tyre gel. I use and old sponge to apply it. That is my method. It does take time but the result is really good and the polish lasts about 4-6 months.( longer if you use Demon Shine at every interim wash.)
Your polishing regime with Autoglym Super Resin and then Extra Gloss Protectant is the same as the one I've used successfully on a number of cars I've owned over the years, both new and used and including my previous new XE. These treatments have kept the paint looking good for 10 years or more on some cars I've owned for a long time.
However, I seem to have come a bit of a cropper on my latest XE, and application of Super Resin Polish last Autumn has resulted in swirl marks all over. These aren't visible unless in bright sunshine, so this problem has been not been apparent to me until the (welcome) start of the Spring sunshine. These swirl marks are now really bugging me so I took the car to a Detailer who took a look and said yes, it's "marring" and quite common on Jaguars because of their unusually soft clear coat. The upshot is I've booked the car in for paint correction (which is very careful power buffing of the clear coat) and then ceramic coating - the latter being much harder than even the hardest clear coats. Supposedly, the car then will not need any polish or wax applied - just a wash and dry with microfiber towels.
I would therefore counsel extreme caution with polishing any new XE - especially one in a dark colour like mine, where swirl marks are more visible.
Chris Phillips. Jaguar XE HSE 250PS Petrol MY20. Portofino Blue, Light Oyster, privacy glass, heated steering wheel, Meridian 825w, space saver spare wheel, folding rear seat, black pack, 16-way driver seat

Wastegate84

Post by Wastegate84 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:51 pm

The super resin polish won't have caused the swirl marks. It will be grit during the wash & dry process or worse still during the polishing & buffing - a very unfortunate occurrence. I hope the paint correction brings it back so you are 100% satisfied with the results.
2015 XE Prestige 20d 163 Bluefire

Fighterpilot

Post by Fighterpilot » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:19 am

Temp is critical with polishes and coating. Most will apply in the sun and it bakes on and makes a shiny mess. The best time is very light cloud or no sun altogether witha temp around 16C. That is just enough to flash off the liquid. Also one panel at a time and no swirl polishing . It's better the do horizontal and vertical polishing with the Extra gloss.
R Sport 180D 2015

ant_in_wales

Post by ant_in_wales » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:45 am

Fighterpilot wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:19 am
Temp is critical with polishes and coating. Most will apply in the sun and it bakes on and makes a shiny mess. The best time is very light cloud or no sun altogether witha temp around 16C. That is just enough to flash off the liquid. Also one panel at a time and no swirl polishing . It's better the do horizontal and vertical polishing with the Extra gloss.
Good advice on the timing and weather forecasting there.
I'm going to fix my road rash, get those two products mentioned, and wait for an overcast Sunday. :)