DA Polishers - Any Advice?

Interior and Exterior bodywork Faults and Fixes
UV Blue

Re: DA Polishers - Any Advice?

Post by UV Blue » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:31 am

I've looked into polishing by machine a few times and always backed off, I came to the conclusion it's best left to the pro's. I'm extremely careful cleaning my car (it's black - snow foam regime etc.) and however hard and careful you are there will always be some light 'marring' on the top coat, and out in the big scary wide world it will also pick up feint scratches - someone catching their coat on the paintwork as they walk between cars in a car park for example. It's easy enough to get a 'shiny' car these days but to get the light scratches/swirls out is much more difficult and it's not quite as easy as YouTube would have us believe.
Jaguar XE-S / 3.0L Supercharged V6 380bhp / Ultimate Black / 20" 'Propeller' alloys / HUD / Black Pack Pics

chrisjp

Post by chrisjp » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:31 am

UV Blue wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:31 am
I've looked into polishing by machine a few times and always backed off, I came to the conclusion it's best left to the pro's. I'm extremely careful cleaning my car (it's black - snow foam regime etc.) and however hard and careful you are there will always be some light 'marring' on the top coat, and out in the big scary wide world it will also pick up feint scratches - someone catching their coat on the paintwork as they walk between cars in a car park for example. It's easy enough to get a 'shiny' car these days but to get the light scratches/swirls out is much more difficult and it's not quite as easy as YouTube would have us believe.
Yes I agree, and that's why I've decided to get mine professionally paint corrected and then ceramic coated. The detailer will also replace the sill paint protection film that I applied myself from new - which has itself got damaged by flying stones. He'll then ceramic coat over the film which hopefully will prevent further damage to the film.
This work won't be cheap (around £600) but the detailer will need the car for 3 days so there's a lot of skilled labour involved. He's also not got a slot for me until early June, but I take his busy-ness as a good sign!
I'll report back with some pictures when it's done.
Chris Phillips. Jaguar XE HSE 250PS Petrol MY20. Portofino Blue, Light Oyster, privacy glass, heated steering wheel, Meridian 825w, space saver spare wheel, folding rear seat, black pack, 16-way driver seat

Cabby

Post by Cabby » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:19 pm

UV Blue wrote:
Have you tried using a DA? It’s not that difficult if the preparation is thorough and you take your time to find the right pad and compound combination. The golden rule is start with the least aggressive combination as that removes the least paint. It takes time to do all the prep and polishing and the pads and compound cost soon mount up, but you’ll have learnt a skill that is rewarding.
XE 250 R-Dynamic Black in Eiger Grey with Siena Tan interior, 19" Style 1050 alloys and a few toys
Gone, but not forgotten - XE 250 Portfolio in Corris Grey with Siena Tan

chrisjp

Post by chrisjp » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:49 pm

I've always been a great believer in DIY and have done most work on cars over the years, including rebuilding engines. Normally I've either been able to practice and perfect skills on things that don't matter too much if I get it wrong the first time, or whatever I got wrong was reasonably easy to remedy , albeit with maybe the need to buy additional replacement parts.
The problem with DIY paint correction on an expensive car is that you've only got the single chance to get it right and if you don't, and you've further damaged the paint, you've got a disaster with possibly a respray being the only remedy. That's too risky for me!
Chris Phillips. Jaguar XE HSE 250PS Petrol MY20. Portofino Blue, Light Oyster, privacy glass, heated steering wheel, Meridian 825w, space saver spare wheel, folding rear seat, black pack, 16-way driver seat

BruceTheQuail

Post by BruceTheQuail » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:03 am

Yeah I had that experience using the Carpro cquartz product, although the main culprit was the dreadful paint on my daughter's Alfa Mito. You would have thought the painter had the cost of product coming out of his wage, it was so bad.

Anyway the paint was chalky and nasty on a 2 1/2 year old car so I spent a day giving it a correction and applying the reload, it ended up coming out worse and ultimately nearly showing metal through parts. I'll never try anything "permanent" again, although I think I have found the next best thing with my beloved Polish Angel products about which I never stop rabbiting on.
2020 XE P300 HSE R-dynamic in Firenze lotsa goodies incl RWD!
Daily driver - F Type V6 S in IRR with many chav accoutrements, pulley and tune
Gone but still loved - 2016 XE 25T R-sport in IRR

BruceTheQuail

Post by BruceTheQuail » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:12 am

I'll let a picture do the talking - my car coming on 5 years old. Once a year it gets a clay and the polish angel wax, then washed about once every 6 weeks, a spray of rapidwax every couple of months (wipe on wipe off)

20210419_174444.jpg

ant_in_wales

Post by ant_in_wales » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:07 am

BruceTheQuail wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:12 am
I'll let a picture do the talking - my car coming on 5 years old. Once a year it gets a clay and the polish angel wax, then washed about once every 6 weeks, a spray of rapidwax every couple of months (wipe on wipe off)
That's a beautiful car - as well it should be, since it appears to be sleeping in your home gym / store room.
Your car gets a bedroom! :)
MY2016 Prestige 163 Auto, Red with Oyster Interior

BruceTheQuail

Post by BruceTheQuail » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:32 am

oh we baby them over here. If it was an Aston it'd be next to me in bed

UV Blue

Post by UV Blue » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:00 am

Cabby wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:19 pm
UV Blue wrote:
Have you tried using a DA? It’s not that difficult if the preparation is thorough and you take your time to find the right pad and compound combination. The golden rule is start with the least aggressive combination as that removes the least paint. It takes time to do all the prep and polishing and the pads and compound cost soon mount up, but you’ll have learnt a skill that is rewarding.
...no I haven't tried using a DA. Yes, It would be a skill to learn specially if I could practice on some old shunter, but that's not possible!
Jaguar XE-S / 3.0L Supercharged V6 380bhp / Ultimate Black / 20" 'Propeller' alloys / HUD / Black Pack Pics

Cabby

Post by Cabby » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:40 pm

UV Blue wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:00 am
Cabby wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:19 pm
UV Blue wrote:
...no I haven't tried using a DA. Yes, It would be a skill to learn specially if I could practice on some old shunter, but that's not possible!
I started off practising on an old car door I bought on ebay. What I learnt from this was:
- doors are big and heavy! It was from a 2 door BMW M3, so schoolboy error there.. a small bonnet would have been better.
- black paint was a good colour to correct
- all paint is different, the BMW clear coat was softer than the Jag.

But I understand its not for everyone.
XE 250 R-Dynamic Black in Eiger Grey with Siena Tan interior, 19" Style 1050 alloys and a few toys
Gone, but not forgotten - XE 250 Portfolio in Corris Grey with Siena Tan