Road rash

Interior and Exterior bodywork Faults and Fixes
BOBCDP

Re: Road rash

Post by BOBCDP » Mon May 10, 2021 3:42 pm

When I did mine, I didn't use any fancy kits. I bought a length of clear wrap on Ebay, then just cut some thin card roughly to size and cut the wrap to the same dimension. Pulled an inch or so off the backing to start and stuck that down to make sure I had it in the correct position. I then pulled a bit more off the backing, keeping it tight and holding it slightly away from the body and then using the felt edge of the squeegee tool to apply it to the body. I did this gradually across the whole area. If any bubbles appeared I just pulled the wrap off slightly and repeated the process. Worked fine for me and no bubbles. I think unless you are a professional, do a little bit at a time rather than try to stick the whole lot down in one go. The beauty of buying a roll is you have some spare to practise on before you go for the real thing.
2020 - MY19 2018 R-Sport 30T AWD, Firenza, Adaptive Dynamics, Pano Roof, Touch Pro Dual, 40/20/40 Folding Seats. Heated s/wheel

2016- 2020 MY16 2015 R-Sport 180d, Auto, Yulong White,

fraser

Post by fraser » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:10 am

fraser wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 1:33 pm
I've just started this sill "job" myself. The instructions for the sill protectors I bought state they can be put on dry or wet, but wet is easier to reposition, but I found a video on YouTube that shows a dry application, so I'm going to try that. They also mention that one must wait about 3 weeks after painting to allow all the solvents to evaporate.
Well, my first attempt was a miserable failure ! So I had to order a second set. Yesterday I used the wet technique and made sure I had the right tools incl. Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) and a proper applicator squeegee. It all went quite wll.

chrisjp

Post by chrisjp » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:35 pm

Even putting it on wet I had trouble avoiding any air bubbles under the film I fitted. However, it didn't much matter because the film I used (sourced from Aliath) was quickly damaged by flying stones and soon looked as bad as an unprotected sill (albeit that at least the paint itself was not damaged and I could replace the film periodically)
However, I've now had the whole car ceramic coated and, as part of that, the Detailing company removed the old film, put some of their own on and then ceramic coated over that, claiming that it will protect the film from damage.
We'll see how this works out when I've put a few more miles on the car.
Chris Phillips. Jaguar XE HSE 250PS Petrol MY20. Portofino Blue, Light Oyster, privacy glass, heated steering wheel, Meridian 825w, space saver spare wheel, folding rear seat, black pack, 16-way driver seat

DABroke

Post by DABroke » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:29 pm

I suspect that the ceramic coating will offer very little protection from the film being damaged, however the fact that the film is probably a better quality than the Aliath offering will make it much more durable with some PPF’s having a self healing properties with the application of some gentle heat.
I also fitted some Aliath film when I noticed the very early signs of road rash as an emergency stop gap but I did find it very delicate when fitting and was very easily damaged.
I think you have certainly done what you can and I am intending to do the same and have the complete sill section covered in PPF. My car is already ceramic coated so this will need to be removed before the PPF is applied and then recoated afterwards.
MY20 Carpathian Grey P250 R-Dynamic HSE. Black Pack, Privacy Glass, Matrix Headlights, Cold Climate Pack, Folding Rear Seats, Panoramic Sunroof, Configurable Dynamics, 360 Camera, Clearsight Mirror, Convenience Pack, Red Brake Calipers + load more stuff!

Hammers

Post by Hammers » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:13 am

If you read most of the fine print from ceramic coating companies it does suggest it doesn't work for many stone chips. Hopefully it works out well for you, but I wouldn't rely on ceramic coating being the whole answer
Current: Fuji White MY19.5 P300 R-Dynamic F-Type Convertible 20" Black wheels, Exterior Black Pack, Windsor Leather performance Seats etc.
Previous: Italian Racing Red MY17 Jaguar XE 25t R-Sport, Black Pack, 19" black venom wheels, sunroof etc.

Fighterpilot

Post by Fighterpilot » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:17 am

I always think of ceramic coating as the car covered in bathroom tiles. :lol: :lol:
R Sport 180D 2015

chrisjp

Post by chrisjp » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:31 am

Hammers wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:13 am
If you read most of the fine print from ceramic coating companies it does suggest it doesn't work for many stone chips. Hopefully it works out well for you, but I wouldn't rely on ceramic coating being the whole answer
Yes - I'm still expecting to have to touch in stone chips, but the ceramic coating is supposed to be much harder than the seemingly quite soft paint on the Jag, so maybe they'll be less chips to deal with.
I don't know why car companies persist in using a light grey primer under dark top colours like my XE. This means that even a minor chip which just affects the top paint coat is immediately very visible.
Chris Phillips. Jaguar XE HSE 250PS Petrol MY20. Portofino Blue, Light Oyster, privacy glass, heated steering wheel, Meridian 825w, space saver spare wheel, folding rear seat, black pack, 16-way driver seat

Indianajons

Post by Indianajons » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:55 am

chrisjp wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:31 am
Hammers wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:13 am
Yes - I'm still expecting to have to touch in stone chips, but the ceramic coating is supposed to be much harder than the seemingly quite soft paint on the Jag, so maybe they'll be less chips to deal with.
I don't know why car companies persist in using a light grey primer under dark top colours like my XE. This means that even a minor chip which just affects the top paint coat is immediately very visible.
The answer is to buy a light grey car 😁
2017 MY tempest grey Portfolio 180D, folding mirrors, 14 way seats, memory pack, cold weather pack, 360 parking, wi-fi hotspot

Hammers

Post by Hammers » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:34 am

My IRR XE copped a stone on the bonnet and I had a silver scratch as it went straight to metal. Always bothered me but never got it fixed before I traded, they didn’t notice as they put it straight on their front yard and sold for A$10k more than they gave me in two days.
Current: Fuji White MY19.5 P300 R-Dynamic F-Type Convertible 20" Black wheels, Exterior Black Pack, Windsor Leather performance Seats etc.
Previous: Italian Racing Red MY17 Jaguar XE 25t R-Sport, Black Pack, 19" black venom wheels, sunroof etc.

chrisjp

Post by chrisjp » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:21 am

Hammers wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:34 am
My IRR XE copped a stone on the bonnet and I had a silver scratch as it went straight to metal. Always bothered me but never got it fixed before I traded, they didn’t notice as they put it straight on their front yard and sold for A$10k more than they gave me in two days.
My previous XE, and other cars have been white, silver, silver-grey or light metallic blue, and scratches and chips have not been all that obvious - though I've touched them in when on metal to avoid corrosion.
My current XE is dark Portofino Blue which I thought would be a nice change (and it certainly looks very good in the sun), but I've learnt the hard way that even the tiniest chip is immediately highly visible.
I think I'll avoid dark coloured cars in the future!