Road rash

Interior and Exterior bodywork Faults and Fixes
ant_in_wales

Re: Road rash

Post by ant_in_wales » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:00 am

phil-c wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:46 pm

I had some quite bad road rash on rear sills
I know it’s not as good as a finish if it went to the body shop professionally but I saved a fortune and quietly happy with myself at the result
How did you fix it, Phil?
I was told "re-spray" for mine, but maybe a coloured Turtle Wax.
(Apologies if I missed your explanation elsewhere.)
MY2016 Prestige 163 Auto, Red with Oyster Interior

phil-c

Post by phil-c » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:18 am

I bought rattle can on line of colour and laquer masked up on a warm sunny day and spayed it myself light thin coats till I was happy
XE 2L Diesel [180] Portfolio

Indianajons

Post by Indianajons » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:22 am

chrisjp wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:28 pm
I've washed the car today for the first time for quite a while and noticed that the film itself is now suffering from road rash with a series of small marks all over it. I suppose I can take comfort from the fact that at least the paint hasn't been chipped and I can always fit new film to remedy matters. However, I was surprised to see the film damaged in this way.
Has anyone else had the same experience?
Try self healing film next time.... http://perfectcarcare.co.uk/paint-protection-film-2
2017 MY tempest grey Portfolio 180D, folding mirrors, 14 way seats, memory pack, cold weather pack, 360 parking, wi-fi hotspot

ant_in_wales

Post by ant_in_wales » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:40 am

phil-c wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:18 am
I bought rattle can on line of colour and laquer masked up on a warm sunny day and spayed it myself light thin coats till I was happy
Something like this, Phil?
https://autocarpaint.co.uk/products/jag ... _xe~wh_red

Do you mean you put on a mask yourself to protect from paint inhalation (at least we're all suddenly fine for masks) or masking the areas you didn't want to get paint on.
Or both!?
Tape newspaper where you don't want to spray?

And then some of the film recommended by Indy?

ant_in_wales

Post by ant_in_wales » Sun May 02, 2021 6:38 pm

With thanks to Phil, I've done a pretty good job here, I think.
It looked shit before, so anything better than shit is a result.
I found that a slow, deliberate stroke worked well.
3 or 4 layers of paint, 3 of lacquer.
Only disappointed to learn, on opening the parcel from Aliath, that I need an Applicator, and too tired to look for an alternative now.

Very pleased, thank you all for help.

PXL_20210502_144839792.jpg

PXL_20210502_172148077.jpg

PXL_20210502_172220466.jpg

ant_in_wales

Post by ant_in_wales » Sun May 09, 2021 11:39 am

Whereas fitting the Aliath film was a disaster.
Didn't realise I needed their scraper, didn't know what "detergent" meant, and once on it looked terrible (loads of bubbles I couldn't get out) so I pulled it off, and it took all my newly sprayed paint off (at least I know it's an easy job to re-do),

Is there any protection that can be smeared on? "Ceramic"?

chrisjp

Post by chrisjp » Sun May 09, 2021 12:58 pm

ant_in_wales wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 11:39 am
Whereas fitting the Aliath film was a disaster.
Didn't realise I needed their scraper, didn't know what "detergent" meant, and once on it looked terrible (loads of bubbles I couldn't get out) so I pulled it off, and it took all my newly sprayed paint off (at least I know it's an easy job to re-do),

Is there any protection that can be smeared on? "Ceramic"?
I had the same trouble with Aliath film - I found it impossible to apply without getting unmovable air bubbles under it - despite several tries while it was still wet. I made up a spray bottle of distilled water, isopropanol and a few drops of liquid soap as detailed in Aliath's instructions and used this liberally on the sill and the film before applying it, but still got the air bubbles. I've lived with the result for a few months but have now noticed that the film itself is getting road rash which looks just as bad. I'd consoled myself with the thought that I could always remove the film and replace it with new. However, your comment that removing the film also removed the new paint that you had applied is worrying. Did you heat the film before pulling it off?
I've now decided the get a professional auto-detailer to apply ceramic coating to the whole car. He says he'll remove the existing film, correct the paint as necessary, apply ceramic coating, put new film on the sill flares and re-ceramic coat over the film. I'm hoping that this may solve the issue, at least for a while
Chris Phillips. Jaguar XE HSE 250PS Petrol MY20. Portofino Blue, Light Oyster, privacy glass, heated steering wheel, Meridian 825w, space saver spare wheel, folding rear seat, black pack, 16-way driver seat

TheDutch

Post by TheDutch » Sun May 09, 2021 2:58 pm

I’ve approached a company which applies wraps to company cars. They did the complete length of the sill with transparent foil. And it wasn’t expensive at all.
The problem is that it’s not only the rear end which suffers from road rash
Jaguar XE 07-2016 prestige 2.0D 180HP automatic transmission

ant_in_wales

Post by ant_in_wales » Mon May 10, 2021 8:31 am

chrisjp wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 12:58 pm
Did you heat the film before pulling it off?
I didn't heat the film before removing - it had only been on a few minutes.
Didn't seem to damage the existing paint but removed some of the red I'd sprayed (which isn't a problem - I've loads of paint left, will just wait for a wind-free day)

I don't think Aliath (and perhaps other films) are suitable for the lower-end DIYers like me - it needs a professional, I think.
You need to know what you're doing. Their instructions and videos are not much use to the complete amateur.

fraser

Post by fraser » Mon May 10, 2021 1:33 pm

I've just started this sill "job" myself. The instructions for the sill protectors I bought state they can be put on dry or wet, but wet is easier to reposition, but I found a video on YouTube that shows a dry application, so I'm going to try that. They also mention that one must wait about 3 weeks after painting to allow all the solvents to evaporate.