Water in passenger footwell - inside fan housing

Interior and Exterior bodywork Faults and Fixes
chris.stanny

Water in passenger footwell - inside fan housing

Post by chris.stanny » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:15 pm

Evening all,

Recently we've had quite a lot of rain and my girlfriend complained that her feet were being dripped on. Sure enough I can see water dripping down past the electrics behind the dashboard.
I removed the glovebox and the cabin filter to find water inside the fan housing. When I put my hand up towards the bulkhead I can feel a draught like I expected as this is where the air enters the car but unfortunately I can't see up here.
I can feel that the insulation here is absolutely sodden. The car doesn't smell bad so I'm assuming this is a fairly new issue - plus Katie's feet only just got wet :)
Does anyone know of any drain locations which could be blocked? Or have heard of leaks past the windscreen or in the scuttle? I have the pan roof so perhaps a drain for that is blocked?

I can't even seem to see outside evidence of any airway into the car (Haven't removed the scuttle panel due to the poverty-spec fasteners spinning around instead of undoing - every car I've had has them and they're useless) but I assume there's a duct somewhere under this panel which has come loose or something?

I'm really scared of the electrics getting damaged.

I've messsaged an ex-colleague who designed the HVAC system on the XE but he's not responded as of yet - and knowing JLR, his work will have been blinkered to just the HVAC system in isolation.

I've searched the forum lots and can't seem to find anyone else who has had this problem. A wider google search suggest it's quite common on XFs and XKs though.
2015 Jaguar XE R-sport 240PS (Now 275PS) Petrol
Honda CBR1000RR9 Fireblade
Mazda MX-5 MK3 1.8

Stephen

Re: Water in passenger footwell - inside fan housing

Post by Stephen » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:08 pm

Hi Chris,

A number of early XE owners reported water leaks in the passenger footwell, so yours is not an isolated case. If I remember correctly, water leaks through the scuttle in the area around the A-pillar. JLR are aware of the problem and there is even an offical Jaguar Technical Bulletin outling a fix for the issue.
🇬🇧 MY20; S P250 RWD; Portofino Blue; Lt Oyster Windsor Lthr Seats with Ebony/Lt Oyster interior; 16-way electric dr mem fr seat; Style 1048 wheels; Gloss Ash Burr Veneer; Heated steering wheel; 380W Meridan System; Spare wheel; Rubber mats; Touch Pro S21A

chris.stanny

Re: Water in passenger footwell - inside fan housing

Post by chris.stanny » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:16 pm

Hello guys,

I seem to have found my leak. It was coming in from the seal that's made between the windscreen rubber seal and the scuttle panel. The rubber seal is like a female slot running along the bottom of the windscreen and the scuttle has a corresponding male ridge that slots into it.
The ridge had some gunge in it which meant the l scuttle panel didn't seat right and the water could pass through and run into the air intake for the cabin where the pollen filter is.
2015 Jaguar XE R-sport 240PS (Now 275PS) Petrol
Honda CBR1000RR9 Fireblade
Mazda MX-5 MK3 1.8