Road rash

Interior and Exterior bodywork Faults and Fixes
Fighterpilot

Re: Road rash

Post by Fighterpilot » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:55 am

The majority of chips are on the plastic panels not metal.Many AC Cobra's had alumimium/chrome steel guards fixed to the rear mudguards at the bottom to stop paint chipping. Maybe someone could custom make similar for the XE?

images.jpg

R Sport 180D 2015

fraser

Post by fraser » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:40 pm

Just to say that I had a long run last Saturday to Rugby and back to Crewe almost all on motorway, and there is no damage yet to my sill rears with the vinyls fitted. However, I suspect it is the mudflaps that I fitted shorly about a year after buying the car that have made the difference !

msa

Post by msa » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:58 am

fraser wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:40 pm
Just to say that I had a long run last Saturday to Rugby and back to Crewe almost all on motorway, and there is no damage yet to my sill rears with the vinyls fitted. However, I suspect it is the mudflaps that I fitted shorly about a year after buying the car that have made the difference !
I agree that mudflaps help but for me did not fully resolve the issue. I suspect that the core problem is somehow related to the aerodynamics of the car causing the gravel/dust to hit the sills much much harder than normal. I need to drive a bit on gravel roads and I've fitted the front mudflaps and in addition a car colored (black) vinyl wrap on sills and even on top of that another thick clear chip protection vinyl in front of the rear wheels. Even with such a heavy protection the vinyl needs to be replaced on a yearly basis. Stream of gravel/stones just eats through it. Before having the protection the stream of stones/gravel/dust ate through the paint, primer and actually started eroding heavily the actual plastic sill, so the amount of stuff hitting the sill must be really something. This seems to be one of the features of XE I just need to live with.

Other thing that makes me suspect the actual issue being the aerodynamics is that I've fitted additional round of seals to the outer edges of the doors to prevent dirt ingress. It keeps the water and dirt away but not dust. A lot of fine gravel dust gets inside the doors/sill arches and all the way up to the roof level of B- and C-pillars. On a very dry gravel road it takes just 10-20 kms to coat the pillars and sills with dust. In order to make that happen I think there has to be some kind of suction effect taking place.