Jaguar XE Forum banner

Retrofit fun

7K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  eski 
#1 ·
After a almost year long project finally today finished few retrofits. Base line is that I have ICTP which allows meridian surround. Other retrofits were electric rear window blind, 360 cameras, surround parking (adding parking assist sensors over standard rear and front sensors + rear view camera), heated washer jets and led projectors for puddle/approach lamps.

I do have some install etc pics but not many and will add those later.

I already had AA/AC retrofit made.

Rear electric window blind was easy. I just replaced rear parcel shelf with one which had blind and surround speakers. All the wiring for rear blind was there. Three wire connector on the right side behind rear passenger. Only addition was the open/close button to the roof. I bought used upper module, replace my current one with electronics and with button. No need to code. Works perfectly.

Led puddle lights. As adding 360 cameras one need new mirrors as the camera wiring inside mirror and camera place is one with mirror. Bought one with MY18 model and one with MY20 model. MY20 had the led already and MY18 did not. I had to source led projector and projector bracket. As the bracket comes with mirror could not find one without. Bought broken i-pace mirror and cannibalized that one. Then just cutting the wires and soldering led projector to XE MY18 mirror harness. Works directly.

360 Cameras bit more work. I had to source camera wiring and camera control module and cameras. As in MY18 there are no camera control module (or if you have one it just for rear). Mirrors bought earlier had cameras so I had to buy front and rear cameras. Only in rear camera configuration the rear camera has direct canbus and 12V connection + the LVDS (Low voltage digital signal) wiring. I was lucky to get removed main harness from salvage car and source some of the camera wires from there. One can buy all the camera wires separately from Jag. So I had to buy right mirror (that was cut) and one between front bumber and main front camera wiring. I also got wiring for front left and right door and separated camera wiring from those.
Next was to open door panels, change mirrors, wire door camera wiring. The door wiring connector to main harness had slots for camera wiring. Camera control module requires canbus and 12V. I used the same connections which original rear view camera uses. By wiring manual source of those wires are same.

Next to add parking assist sensors. To add two rear and two front sensors. Bumbers do not have brackets to sensors which are missing, but they do have place where to drill 18.5mm holes. The brackets are not sold separately, but I sourced those from broken bumbers. All brackets are same except front outer assist sensor brackets. Also front outer sensors are unique to others. For wiring I bought new rear bumber wiring and front bumber wiring. Rear with additional sensors (and with sensors form trunk/boot opening sensors) and front wiring with camera wiring.

Rear bumber removed, drilled hole for sensors, glued brackets with epoxy and add new wiring with sensors. Main wiring harness was missing two signal wires for rear assist sensors. I got wiring and pins from salvaged main wiring harness. One can buy wire repair sets from Jaguar. Just check electrical connection manual and check the pin number and with that number (minus the minus sign) you can buy new connectors with about 20cm wiring with those. Easy to solder new wire. From rear bumber connector there is one wire to parking assist controller. Same controller is used in rear, rear and front and parking assist configurations. So original was used. I had to buy new pins to parking controller end, but same thing. Check pin number from manual and order a set.

Front bumber bit more work, but remove bumber, drill holes, blue brackets, change wiring. For front camera you need new grill or cheap like me and buy i-pace front camera bracket from ebay and saw couple bits off (I do have pics) from the grill and add front camera. Looks factory and fits perfectly. Even non front camera grill has slots where to camera bracket is connected. In my case engine wiring harness had wires for front assist sensors so no need to add those in engine bay. Only the camera wiring was added, but it was simple and direct route from front bumber connection to inside cabin. For front assist signal wiring I had couple other pins bought and I did add about 20cm wiring inside cabin from engine wiring to park assist sensor. The engine wiring connector sits top of the parking assist module. Annoying is that parking assist module has two connectors which has different pins. Fronts goes to other and rears goes to other.

For heated washer jets. One gets those with cold climate pack (or I think with heated windscreen). XE has two washer jets and heated ones cost about 20euros per piece. Power for those comes from body control module. It has about 70cm wire from one pin, but of course wire was missing. I did salvage one from the main wiring and added that. I made lot of extra work to connector wire to that wire and pull it close to the washer jets. When I did remove wipers and the plastic which holds the washer jets I find out that the heated washer jet wiring was there. So remove old washer jets and add new heated ones and connect wiring. Problem was that I did not know where the power wire inside car goes and I already had connected the my own power wire all the way to the engine bay. So I made a hack and opened power wire of the left washer jet and soldered my wire there. Both heated washer jets share common power and ground. One day I pay again to topix and look where is the connector where I can connect directly the heated washer jets wire inside cabin and make connections clean. Heated washer jets cannot be controller. They are automatically controlled.

Final thins was the surround. This means adding center speaker to the front (some of you guy already have it with the SOS service) and the two rear speakers I already got with the rear parcel shelf. And of course you need new amplifier to the back. For wiring you need to wire the front speaker (unless you have one) and short wiring to rear speakers. The factory wiring connector is behind left rear passenger. I added wires to the blue connector of the amp output and replaced the amp.

After all the hardware modifications were done was time for the CCF change. This was not done in one day (rather than one week of work) the camera control module was connected just before the change and old rear camera replaced with new camera. There is a thing with rear camera. Old one with canbus and 12V is bit longer. So I made ugly shims to keep new shorter rear camera pinned in camera slot. You cannot install cameras upside down. Wiring and slots make camera to go correctly (physically upside down at front, but software makes camera image to flip).

After CCF change I have surround sound, parking assist (the power steering is same for all configurations), 360 cameras, heated washer jets. The mirror LED projectors and electric rear blind does not require CCF change. I had one guy at OldJaguar to make CCF change. They connected to my laptop using teamviewer and made the changes. I have pathfinder installed in laptop and DoIP to connect to the car. Programming requires battery supply unit which can provide atleast 40A. I got one from ebay.

One can ask why and answer is for shits and giggles and to check if I can do it for fun. And for warranty.. My warranty has been expired so I can do what I want for it. Of course if major problem occurs I just unplug couple connectors and restore factory CCF I am back to stock config. I will try to add pics later. Happy modding.

See less See more
Reactions: sjbyard
#2 ·
Incredible. Well done you probably know more about the car than most Jaguar trained technicians.
Electronics have always been the subject I struggle with on cars.
I have these options on my car and they are well worth having though I have never used the Parking assist!
Andy

#5 ·
I am at the stage of installing the 360 cameras
I have ictp system and have a with just 1 camera in and 1 out I have sliced all the parts and cables
Are you saying that even thought the rear camera connections look the same the camera is different
And am struggling to find the ccf settings in ssd for the surround module any help would be appreciated just swapped from a disco to a jag many mods on the disco and now the jags turn

#6 ·
Hand Camera lens Digital camera Camera accessory Point-and-shoot camera

Depends of the car year. In my knowledge MY18-> in only rear camera configuration has CAN bus directly to the camera. If you have camera control module then CAN bus goes to that module, not directly to the camera.
Earlier years did have camera control module for only one camera. Two different models, one for ICTP and one for ICT.
In CCF you need to add image processing module B (I think).
There is one issue what I encourted. All camera features do work, but to make automatic parking work it requires camera control module to have VIN matching to the car. You need to buy new camera control module or have tools how to remove existing VIN from used module.

#7 ·
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle door

Left is the original camera connector and right is the new camera cable which goes directly to the camera control module.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.