DAB Radio problems

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
mickxe

DAB Radio problems

Post by mickxe » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:01 pm

Anyone know how to retune the DAB radio to Radio1,2,3,4, and the rest. I've done everything the book says and all I can get is local DAB radio stations, any advice would be gratefully received. As I haven't got much hair left I'm afraid to pull any more out.
MY16 2.0 Prestige in Ultimate Black, Auto, Sliding Panoramic Roof, Sat Nav, Leather Interior, Rear Window Sunblind and loads more toys

Kaikoura

Re: DAB Radio problems

Post by Kaikoura » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:13 pm

If my car is parked in front of my house I cannot tune the DAB is it seems to be a bit of a dead spot. Have you tried driving to a more open location close by?
Richard Green

I know what's wrong and if I could find it I'd fix it.

2016 XE R-Sport; 2004 XKR convertible; 1975 Triumph TR6

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:32 pm

DAB stations are grouped in various "ensembles" depending where you live.
BBC radio has it's own and where I live I also have a London one plus a few more for Bucks Berks and Herts.
It's been a while since I tuned an XE but on my most recent Evoque you could access each "ensemble" then scan through the list saving favourites.
Same system on the Ford Sync 3 system on my current Ford condom.
2019 Evoque P300 HSE - now gone. On order new Ford Mustang GT fastback.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

mickxe

Post by mickxe » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:10 pm

I've had the car 21 months now and never had this problem before. I don't like F.M. on the Jag it's too scratchy going in between transmitters. It got that bad the other day I had to go to USB stick. All manageable but infuriating trying to get a constant clear station and South Devon isn't that bad an area for reception
MY16 2.0 Prestige in Ultimate Black, Auto, Sliding Panoramic Roof, Sat Nav, Leather Interior, Rear Window Sunblind and loads more toys

147daytona

Post by 147daytona » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:55 pm

I use DAB for the more Rock orientated stations such as Absolute but find DAB cuts out completely quite often when driving around, and that drives me nuts. I thought DAB was meant to be the dogs danglies but in my experience it's not as good as FM for reception.
MY20 Carpathian Grey 300 R-Dynamic HSE AWD + loads of extras!
Previous, MY17 Italian Racing Red 240 R-Sport

Hammers

Post by Hammers » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:26 pm

The problem with DAB, like most things digital, is it is either off or on. If the reception gets below a certain level you don’t get crackly sound you get nothing. I used to have to go through a tunnel every day going to work and the DAB just cut out so mostly used FM, also near where I live the reception cuts in and out. I only use DAB when I’m up around the city, but do appreciate that the UK coverage is probably better than here in the colonies
Current: Fuji White MY19.5 P300 R-Dynamic F-Type Convertible 20" Black wheels, Exterior Black Pack, Windsor Leather performance Seats etc.
Previous: Italian Racing Red MY17 Jaguar XE 25t R-Sport, Black Pack, 19" black venom wheels, sunroof etc.

chrisjp

Post by chrisjp » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:41 pm

I lose DAB also in certain local areas, but I've got the Infotainment system setup so that, when that happens, FM is automatically put on instead. This is pretty much seamless (surprisingly given the Infotainment system's other foibles!) and thus there is no audible break in radio reception.
Chris Phillips. Jaguar XE HSE 250PS Petrol MY20. Portofino Blue, Light Oyster, privacy glass, heated steering wheel, Meridian 825w, space saver spare wheel, folding rear seat, black pack, 16-way driver seat

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:45 am

Bear in mind not all DAB stations are national so they have limits.
I normally listen to Heart London but on the extremeties of that the car used to switch to the next local "Heart" station automatically.
Same music just different presenters.
When I cleared it's brain prior to trade in it binned all the radio selections and left me with some FM station and I haven't used FM for years.
The difference between FM and DAB was like night and day.
2019 Evoque P300 HSE - now gone. On order new Ford Mustang GT fastback.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

ChrisCJ

Post by ChrisCJ » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:45 am

One of my Jaguars had poor DAB reception - I assumed it was dead transmission spots but my next car was perfect. Must therefore have been a faulty aerial or connection. I suffer few if any drop outs in my current XE. I guess technology also improves over time (some of it anyway lol).
Jaguar XE HSE 250PS Petrol MY20. Black, Ebony Headlining, Cold Climate Pack, space saver spare wheel, folding rear seat

mickxe

Post by mickxe » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:56 pm

I generally drive between Exeter and Bridgwater with occasional trips down to Reading, but it doesn't matter where I went never a problem. Just been the last three months. It seems like something was wearing out, other than me,