Standard XE audio - adding a subwoofer

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
Thebean

Standard XE audio - adding a subwoofer

Post by Thebean » Sat May 01, 2021 6:00 pm

I want to fit a sub to my basic audio XE prestige.

Obviously no sub or amp in the boot to link out of so where do I pick up a line output to break down to RCA and into my amplifier / sub unit? Is there a feed to the boot but just no sub attached by the factory or is there no feed at all meaning I need to link out of the rear door bass cones and feed to the boot space?

All knowledge much appreciated.

iBaa

Re: Standard XE audio - adding a subwoofer

Post by iBaa » Sun May 02, 2021 8:13 am

Here you go...

I added a sub to the boot picking up the feed from the loom that powered the Jaguar sub
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7966

Wiring diagram to all you to pick a feed up from the rear speakers.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=9571&p=107366&hili ... ng#p107366
2015 R-Sport 200+PS, Polaris White, 20” Propellors, Red calipers, Jet/Red seats, Black Pack, Privacy Glass, Parking Pack, Carbon trim, Meridian Audio & Alpine 8" Active Sub

RoJo

Post by RoJo » Sun May 02, 2021 2:36 pm

I believe the OP has the base audio version, so six speakers fed direct from head unit with no sub.

Screenshot_20210502-143333.jpg

Currently a Caesium Blue 30T Portfolio
Previously a Corris grey 25D R-sport

Wolfie1

Post by Wolfie1 » Sun May 02, 2021 2:45 pm

I reckons the easiest way to run a sub off this system would be to take a speaker input of 1 of the rear speakers and have that feeding a line out converter to an rca and then just wire the sub as normal

Thebean

Post by Thebean » Sun May 02, 2021 9:27 pm

Thanks for the wiring diagrams guys.

You were right, I found the rear speaker feed which comes in through the pillar between front and rear doors. I took a spur from this, fed to the boot space, soldered in a hi/lo converter to get the voltage down for the RCA input. Wired in the sub amp as per standard wiring, I used a spare empty fuse slot for the remote on feed, obviously one that comes on and off with the ignition.

System works great and transforms the audio in the car. The jag system has lots of clear highs but very little bass so having now added the sub it actually balances quite well.

I will fit a volume adjuster down by my drivers seat which will allow me to turn the sub down or off if I fancy at any time.

Well worth the time and effort of fitting an aftermarket sub even if the route was slightly long winded!

GavinG

Post by GavinG » Sun May 02, 2021 9:56 pm

Interesting.
I also have the base system, I am waiting on a DSP to come from AliExpress, gonna see what I can do with that, I may also try an underseat sub, dont want to take up any of the tiny space in the boot with a "proper" job!
And actually I fear I wont even be able to fit an underseat sub! Haven't investigated too far yet, I'm doing other mods first
2016 R-Sport
Carpathian Grey
Pano roof
Rear screen sunblind thingy
19" Venoms (need a refurb!)

Mod guides:
Side mirror sweeping indicators
LED front & rear indicator bulbs & reversing light (no canbus errors)
Illuminated sills

Thebean

Post by Thebean » Mon May 03, 2021 12:13 am

GavinG wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 9:56 pm
Interesting.
I also have the base system, I am waiting on a DSP to come from AliExpress, gonna see what I can do with that, I may also try an underseat sub, dont want to take up any of the tiny space in the boot with a "proper" job!
And actually I fear I wont even be able to fit an underseat sub! Haven't investigated too far yet, I'm doing other mods first
Under seat is unlikely an option as I looked down the route and with all the gubbins under the seat already it was a no go. Also the under seat ones are 'low profile' subs which is pretty pointless anyway.

My system is fully removable, simply remove the two banana plugs and lift the sub unit out, easy. The amplifier fits under the boot floor section, there's loads of room under there for a small to medium sized amplifier module. Mine must have been say 25cm square.. Ish and that fit perfectly.

As for a dsp. It will help the sound a bit but won't give you any more 'umph'.

There was a second option I noticed when installing the wiring... Fitting some small woofers in the side panels of the boot space. Plenty of room and depth to allow that, won't be quite as bassy as a proper sub unit but would aid the low end along the way. Depends just how much power you want...

GavinG

Post by GavinG » Mon May 03, 2021 11:24 am

Thanks for the info!
I was afraid the space under the seat wouldn't be enough alright.
2016 R-Sport
Carpathian Grey
Pano roof
Rear screen sunblind thingy
19" Venoms (need a refurb!)

Mod guides:
Side mirror sweeping indicators
LED front & rear indicator bulbs & reversing light (no canbus errors)
Illuminated sills