Eco mode

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
Gary Buttle

Re: Eco mode

Post by Gary Buttle » Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:26 pm

The wife used car for 30 mile each way travel to work which consists of one mile weaving between cars , 6 roundabouts and speed humps to get to the A11 then 27 miles of A11,A14 and A505 before she gets the last two miles of single lane road to her work ,so rapid acceleration is not needed . I have found that even in normal mode it often holds onto a gear far longer than needed for slow acceleration, driving.
17plate 2.0d 180 r-sport in ammonite grey with black pack.

147daytona

Post by 147daytona » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:24 pm

Hillmangt wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:46 pm
I use eco mode on my journeys north when the motorway is quiet and get about 30 miles extra range on a 400 mile journey. AC and heated seats still work though I believe the AC runs at reduced rate. Car cruises at speed as well as normal mode but is slower to respond if instant acceleration is required.
If the motorway is quiet so you can keep a more constant speed then I would expect you can get more mpg in any mode. 70mph in eco will use the same amount of fuel as 70mph in dynamic, it's only if you have to keep slowing then accelerating that you will use more fuel.
MY20 Carpathian Grey 300 R-Dynamic HSE AWD + loads of extras!
Previous, MY17 Italian Racing Red 240 R-Sport

Jeff123

Post by Jeff123 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:23 pm

147daytona wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:24 pm
Hillmangt wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:46 pm
I use eco mode on my journeys north when the motorway is quiet and get about 30 miles extra range on a 400 mile journey. AC and heated seats still work though I believe the AC runs at reduced rate. Car cruises at speed as well as normal mode but is slower to respond if instant acceleration is required.
If the motorway is quiet so you can keep a more constant speed then I would expect you can get more mpg in any mode. 70mph in eco will use the same amount of fuel as 70mph in dynamic, it's only if you have to keep slowing then accelerating that you will use more fuel.
I agree. Still can't understand why you would dumb-down a decent engined car just to potentially save a few MPG. As mentioned on my other (negative) post, if you want a slower ride, less stress and more MPG - just slow down and drive smoothly.
XE R-Dynamic 180d Eiger Grey MY20

RoJo

Post by RoJo » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:45 pm

It's only there to satisfy the green agenda. Car makers go through vast amounts of R&D to squeeze 1 more mpg out of the official tests. Given steady state cruise control at 70mph, the systems that are "economised" can only have a marginal impact at best.
Currently a Caesium Blue 30T Portfolio
Previously a Corris grey 25D R-sport

chrisjp

Post by chrisjp » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:32 pm

Manufacturers need to meet increasingly low, virtue-signalling government-imposed, carbon dioxide emission targets across the range of ICE cars that they sell, so ECO mode and the dreaded stop-start are vital to squeeze even a fractional mpg increase. That's why stop-start in on by default and must be switched off after every restart. I guess we're lucky (for now at least) that ECO mode is not also on by default and also needing to be changed after every restart!
As sales of EVs increase, this may ease the CO2 regulatory pressure on the remaining ICE cars. However that will be only if manufacturers are allowed to average fuel consumption across all cars they sell (EVs and ICEs), and I suspect the government will instead mandate that carbon dioxide emission targets will only apply to ICE cars, EVs being seen as automatically virtuous.
Chris Phillips. Jaguar XE HSE 250PS Petrol MY20. Portofino Blue, Light Oyster, privacy glass, heated steering wheel, Meridian 825w, space saver spare wheel, folding rear seat, black pack, 16-way driver seat

First Jag-g-g

Post by First Jag-g-g » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:43 pm

Daily morning routine when driving for coffee:
1) Press Ignition Button
2) Press Auto Start/Stop to ensure engine always running
3) Press left mode selection button once for Dynamic Mode
4) Allow engine to come up to temperature when initially driving
5) Drive vigorously thereafter
6) Add Shell V-Power NITRO+ Premium if tank is thirsty

Results: Consistent driving enjoyment. 24.5MPG local and 34MPG Highway. Good enough for me.

Long Live Petrol !!!
2019 Jaguar XE R-Sport 30t AWD, P300, Caldera Red, Ebony/Ebony Interior, Comfort & Convenience, Black Pack, 19" Black Rims, Smart Phone Pack Pics

Wolfie1

Post by Wolfie1 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:28 am

Weird, mine turns all that stuff off in eco, the owners manual also says it turns them off in eco too, never realised that you could turn them on again but i have no want to use that mode, will need to give that a try

chrisjp

Post by chrisjp » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:04 am

First Jag-g-g wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:43 pm
Daily morning routine when driving for coffee:
1) Press Ignition Button
2) Press Auto Start/Stop to ensure engine always running
3) Press left mode selection button once for Dynamic Mode
4) Allow engine to come up to temperature when initially driving
5) Drive vigorously thereafter
6) Add Shell V-Power NITRO+ Premium if tank is thirsty

Results: Consistent driving enjoyment. 24.5MPG local and 34MPG Highway. Good enough for me.

Long Live Petrol !!!
Hear hear!!!
Chris Phillips. Jaguar XE HSE 250PS Petrol MY20. Portofino Blue, Light Oyster, privacy glass, heated steering wheel, Meridian 825w, space saver spare wheel, folding rear seat, black pack, 16-way driver seat

Nuttyspark

Post by Nuttyspark » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:44 am

Wolfie1 wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:28 am
Weird, mine turns all that stuff off in eco, the owners manual also says it turns them off in eco too, never realised that you could turn them on again but i have no want to use that mode, will need to give that a try
I notice it did that on a cold winters morning. Switched to Eco mode and my seat and steering wheel switched off. Just switched them back on again and all was well! :D
2017 Dark Sapphire 180D. Cold climate pack, reverse camera, Meridian sound system and 10" touch pro. Oh and a fully functioning S/S. :o