DEF

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
Nuttyspark

Re: DEF

Post by Nuttyspark » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:33 pm

Put the ignition on but do not start the car.
Press the menu button to clear any messages.
Press menu button again the press up button on steering wheel to get to Vehicle Information.
Scroll down to Next Service. Press menu button and oil service and DEF level will show.
2017 Dark Sapphire 180D. Cold climate pack, reverse camera, Meridian sound system and 10" touch pro. Oh and a fully functioning S/S. :o

RoJo

Post by RoJo » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:45 pm

Early cars didn't have the ability to check DEF level, they just had to wait until the first low warning popped up. I think the change happened when the fuel and temperature bars changed from straight to curved.
Currently a Caesium Blue 30T Portfolio
Previously a Corris grey 25D R-sport

BOBCDP

Post by BOBCDP » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:16 pm

You don’t need to check the level. What you describe in nothing to do with how much DEF is in your tank. Although the warning is quality, that is misleading as almost certainly there is nothing wrong with the quality. It could be a faulty sensor, wrong dosage into the exhaust or several other things. Adding more DEF will not fix it. Unless you know what you’re doing almost certainly a dealer job. Take it back and insist they fix it
2020 - MY19 2018 R-Sport 30T AWD, Firenza, Adaptive Dynamics, Pano Roof, Touch Pro Dual, 40/20/40 Folding Seats. Heated s/wheel

2016- 2020 MY16 2015 R-Sport 180d, Auto, Yulong White,

Fighterpilot

Post by Fighterpilot » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:01 am

You have very good advice here. You mention mileage as 2800, am I correct? If so your DEF will most certainly need draining on a MY 2016 as it will be stale and not the correct strength. I would also think this car has not been driven for ages with that mileage. Again if I am correct on the mileage then get the diesel drained and brake fluid changed. They too will be not up to par.
R Sport 180D 2015

Dragos

Post by Dragos » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:31 am

Probably your DEF fluid is to old, injector full of crystals sediments. I usually keep low level all the time. I wait until low fluid warning appear and just than I top up with 4L adblue, never more. In this way I think DEF fluid is always new. Anyway watch this video what explain well in my opinion what you have to do.

Micksa

Post by Micksa » Fri May 28, 2021 1:48 pm

If you get this error don’t panic and don’t for the love of god go to a Jaguar dealer
I got the dreaded “incorrect diesel exhaust fluid quality detected” error
Phoned the guy who’s worked on my car for years and he managed to fit me in this morning.
Put it up on the ramp and took the sensor out, it was covered in crystallised adblue. Cleaned it off, hooked it up to the computer and cleared the errors. £30 versus the thousands Jaguar would have charged
2017 Jaguar XE 25d

Groningen

Post by Groningen » Sat May 29, 2021 12:25 pm

I got the message too, after 50k and using the right quality of adblue.

Took of the sensor and found crystallization.

Cleaned it up, easy job.

But I can’t reset the fault code. I’ve got a good handheld unit, but it doesn’t do the job, also a dongle and a app, but that doesn’t clear it too...

Now to the dealer to have it reset.

Does anyone know an app that talks to our Jaguars?

Adam
2017 Jaguar XE R-sport 163 diesel. Ultimate black.

Dai

Post by Dai » Sat May 29, 2021 2:26 pm

I’d be interested if there was a dongle/app that worked well with the xe. On my previous q5, I used carista which worked very well.

Groningen

Post by Groningen » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:31 pm

Groningen wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 12:25 pm
I got the message too, after 50k and using the right quality of adblue.

Took of the sensor and found crystallization.

Cleaned it up, easy job.

But I can’t reset the fault code. I’ve got a good handheld unit, but it doesn’t do the job, also a dongle and a app, but that doesn’t clear it too...

Now to the dealer to have it reset.

Does anyone know an app that talks to our Jaguars?

Adam
I took the XE for a 50 km drive and the message disappeared and no need for a reset any more. No more countdown.

I will preventively clean the injector every 30k km. It’s a very easy job, getting under the car is the most difficult....
2017 Jaguar XE R-sport 163 diesel. Ultimate black.