Is Cam Chain Stretching a widespread issue ?

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
Brendielad92

Is Cam Chain Stretching a widespread issue ?

Post by Brendielad92 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:40 pm

Hi All XE Lovers,

Wanted to ask a quick question I bought a XE 2016 Rsport 2.0 Diesel (85k Millage) and I love it best car I ever had have. So far I have had no issues except for the adblue sensor which is now sorted... : ;) :D

But I have been reading worrying stories on fourms and websites about the Ingenium Engines before 2019 all had a fault that the cam chain would stretch and alot of horror stories of engines killed etc

So my question is how widespread is this and apart from the annual service what can I do to prevent this ?

It's my first Jag and I was hoping to have 3 year our of it at least. So basically asking to settle my over thinking mind ☺️

XE123

Re: Is Cam Chain Stretching a widespread issue ?

Post by XE123 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:54 pm

Ingenium Engines before 2019 all had a fault that the cam chain would stretch
I don't believe it's anywhere near as bigger issue as people have been making out.

The thing is, you hear about them because of the internet. It's not like every Jag is breaking down with timing chain issues. In fact if you look at the percentages I'm sure you'd find that it is a tiny, tiny percentage. It only takes 4/5 really vocal people to post all over Facebook / Forums and it definitely starts to sound like every car has the issue, but they just don't in the real world.

The best thing you can do is keep the oil changed nice and frequently, you can do them easy enough at home with a little vacuum pump and the correct spec of oil.
Jaguar XE - Caesium Blue / 25t R-Sport / 19" Wheels / Cold Climate Pack / 825w Meridian System / Full Screen Dashboard Display

TheDutch

Post by TheDutch » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:04 pm

I think 20% will have chain a chain problem.
Change the oil twice as often, don’t use the car for short distances, disable the start stop and drive slow when cold. This will help

I’m going to send my oil to a lab for analysis to see quality after 17.000km of long distance use.
My guess is it will be in bad shape
Jaguar XE 07-2016 prestige 2.0D 180HP automatic transmission

RoJo

Post by RoJo » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:33 pm

20% is way too high in my opinion but I agree with the other preventative measures.

17k km of long distance use should see the oil being in great shape. That's approx half the reccomended oil change distance for a diesel, without the short interrupted dpf regens causing fuel dilution (which the close coupled Xe isn't prone to anyway )
Currently a Caesium Blue 30T Portfolio
Previously a Corris grey 25D R-sport

Brendielad92

Post by Brendielad92 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:47 pm

Cheers guys yea since reading it i have probably been overthinking even to the point of listening to my engine to see if it's sounds normal or not 🤣.

Problem is that diesels are noisey anyway so is like listening for a rattle in a bag of rattles 😂.

I'm going get it serviced next month and oil changed so hopefully will keep it right.

TheDutch

Post by TheDutch » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:10 pm

But I’m wondering if it is a bad construction , incapability of owners or too high service intervals.
But it is a very good engine to drive. Had two BMWs and this is pretty equal. The BMWs also suffered with chains until at least 2016.
Just take the described precautions and enjoy this piece of art

Wolfie1

Post by Wolfie1 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:45 pm

Never seen a timing chain issue with an ingenium before

fraser

Post by fraser » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:27 pm

There is a gentleman who has posted on here about this issue who looks after a fleet of Land Rover vehicles with the Ingenium engine and has noted this problem.

Fighterpilot

Post by Fighterpilot » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:33 am

I mentioned this to my dealer a while back and they have never had any car with timing chain issues so far.
R Sport 180D 2015

TheDutch

Post by TheDutch » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:59 am

Fighterpilot wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:33 am
I mentioned this to my dealer a while back and they have never had any car with timing chain issues so far.
They told me the same. But that is logical I think