Engine management warning light

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
Carl Tonks

Engine management warning light

Post by Carl Tonks » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:43 am

Coming towards the end of quite a long journey on Thursday, mainly motorway cruising at 80mph (130kph) through France and 70mph in UK (aren't I a good boy!), my engine management warnig light came on. I was traveling for legitimate purposes, so please no COVID advice. The car continued to run sweet as a nut and gave excellent fuel consumption, so no change at all in how it was running.

I pulled in to the services and did the classic; switch off an on again. No change.

I nursed it home and now I have to quarantine, which is a good time to research what it might be. Are there any know problems? Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks.
Carl
163 R Sport (66 Plate)

PhilB

Re: Engine management warning light

Post by PhilB » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:18 am

The most common reason is an O2 sensor that's given up the ghost.
The manual says a solid light is due to an "emissions" problem.
2019 Evoque P300 HSE - now gone. On order new Ford Mustang GT V8 fastback.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Carl Tonks

Post by Carl Tonks » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:31 am

Ok thanks. I've got to quarantine for a week anyway, so I'll see if I can get my local guy to pick it up this week. See what he can do.
Carl
163 R Sport (66 Plate)

Phorever

Post by Phorever » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:47 pm

I have just had the same happen to my car. Jaguar assist came out and confirmed it was an o2 sensor and that my car would be ok to drive until I could get it in to the garage. Had it replaced under warranty a week later.
MY19 R-Sport i4 petrol 200ps in santorini black.
-black pack
-winter pack
-split/fold rear seat
-dvd player

1stjag4me

Post by 1stjag4me » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:01 pm

I also had this happen on my old 2018 XE - Jaguar assist report stated (it's all in caps, it's not me shouting) :D

MEMBER REPORTS THAT THE ENGINE MANAGEMENT LIGHT HAS COME ON. USING DIAGNOSTICS TO READ CODES FOUND Diagnostic trouble codes storedP22A1-17 NOX SENSOR CIRCUIT HIGH BANK 1 SENSOR 2- CIRCUIT VOLTAGE ABOVE THRESHOLDP22FE-64 NOX SENSOR PERFORMANCE- SENSING ELEMENT- BANK 1 SENSOR 2- SIGNAL PLAUSIBILITY FAILURERAISED VEHICLE TO INSPECT NOX SENSOR, FOUND THAT THE SENSOR WIRING HAS TWISTED FROM INCORRECT INSTALLATION. WHEN CHECKING THE WIRING OUT FURTHER FOUND THAT TWO WIRES HAD CHAFFED TOGETHER. CARRIED OUT TEMPORARY REPAIR TO WIRES. CLEARED CODES AND RUN VEHICLE. LIGHT IS CURRENTLY OFF. VEHICLE REQUIRES THE SENSOR REMOVING COMPLETELY AND PERMANENT REPAIR CARRIED OUT OR NEW SENSOR ALTOGETHER, THIS WORK TO BE CARRIED OUT BY THE DEALER.
Santorini Black XE (Black Edition) P250 - Pivi-Pro - interactive driver display - 360 surround camera

Previous - MY18 Caldera Red XE R-sport 180ps

IIRXES

Post by IIRXES » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:49 am

Yep me too, I got an amber EML so plugged in my OBD reader and it was the O2 sensor. I have a quote from my local dealer to replace it. From what I can see O2 sensors are generic products that are not totally vehicle specific. A quick Google reveals that prices vary between £40 to 75.
Now I know dealer hourly rates are high but IMO £360 to replace it is perhaps a bit much :lol:
2015 XE S 3ltr Superbloodycharged Italian Racing Red with black pack and quad exhausts!

Phorever

Post by Phorever » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:05 pm

Although it isn't an expensive part it is in a hard to reach place, they had my car in for a full day.
MY19 R-Sport i4 petrol 200ps in santorini black.
-black pack
-winter pack
-split/fold rear seat
-dvd player

IIRXES

Post by IIRXES » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:10 pm

not mine, the tech showed me it on the health check video. mins is after the cat yours was probably before the cat
2015 XE S 3ltr Superbloodycharged Italian Racing Red with black pack and quad exhausts!