Engine shuts down

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
vitoman58

Engine shuts down

Post by vitoman58 » Thu May 06, 2021 2:58 pm

Over the past three weeks I 've had the engine turn off twice whilst sitting in traffic.

When I'm waiting at lights or in heavy traffic, I almost always put the selector into Neutral and engage handbrake. On both occasions this was the situation. The first time, whilst waiting I undid my seatbelt to remove my coat - did that and traffic started moving. Put the selector into Drive but nothing and then the selector sank into console. Had to restart engine.

Yesterday, was second incident. This time all I did was ensure USB cable for phone was connected in central cubby hole. Nothing else. I noticed the light around the start/stop button was flashing and again the selector disappeared!

I can understand the first time (I think). I'm assuming the car will turn engine off as it's unsafe to drive with seatbelt unbuckled. But can't work out yesterday.

Any ideas anyone please?
Steve
R-Sport 250ps, Firenze Red, Black Pack, 825w Meridian ICTP, Adaptive+Configurable Dynamics, IDD

IIRXES

Re: Engine shuts down

Post by IIRXES » Thu May 06, 2021 8:18 pm

It sound suspiciously like the start stop kicking in. Perhaps opening the door or unclipping the seat let shuts the car down.
I'm not sure fully how the s/s works as mine rarely does :lol:
2015 XE S 3ltr Superbloodycharged Italian Racing Red with black pack and quad exhausts!

Wolfie1

Post by Wolfie1 » Fri May 07, 2021 6:15 am

Most times when i reverse into my drive put the selector in park and take off my seatbelt my engine turns off automatically too, mine is a 21 model though and always thought it a feature

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Fri May 07, 2021 6:42 am

The engine shutting down is part of the "Driver exit" feature when stop start is enabled.

Screenshot_2021-05-07 Jaguar Owner Information.png

2019 Evoque P300 HSE - now gone. On order new Ford Mustang GT V8 fastback.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Nuttyspark

Post by Nuttyspark » Fri May 07, 2021 9:28 am

vitoman58 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 2:58 pm
Over the past three weeks I 've had the engine turn off twice whilst sitting in traffic.

When I'm waiting at lights or in heavy traffic, I almost always put the selector into Neutral and engage handbrake. On both occasions this was the situation. The first time, whilst waiting I undid my seatbelt to remove my coat - did that and traffic started moving. Put the selector into Drive but nothing and then the selector sank into console. Had to restart engine.

Yesterday, was second incident. This time all I did was ensure USB cable for phone was connected in central cubby hole. Nothing else. I noticed the light around the start/stop button was flashing and again the selector disappeared!

I can understand the first time (I think). I'm assuming the car will turn engine off as it's unsafe to drive with seatbelt unbuckled. But can't work out yesterday.

Any ideas anyone please?
I think Phil is spot on with the probable cause of your engine shutdown.

Having said that, once I set off on a journey, my gear selector does not move from the D or S position until the journey is finished!

I read this in a Topix brochure.

When the vehicle is stationary for a short
period of time (e.g. in stop-start traffic), the
selector may be left in D or S. When stopping
for extended periods, either select P or apply
the parking brake and select N.

Not sure if traffic lights would be classed as an extended period. Obviously if traffic was at a complete standstill I would then select neutral and put the park brake on! :D
2017 Dark Sapphire 180D. Cold climate pack, reverse camera, Meridian sound system and 10" touch pro. Oh and a fully functioning S/S. :o

vitoman58

Post by vitoman58 » Fri May 07, 2021 12:07 pm

Thanks all. I'm just hoping it's me being stupid. As I said, I could understand the first time when nI unbuckled seatbelt. But I'm pretty certain the second time it was in neutral and handbrake on and that was it.

If it doesn't happen again it's definitely user error :roll: !
Steve
R-Sport 250ps, Firenze Red, Black Pack, 825w Meridian ICTP, Adaptive+Configurable Dynamics, IDD

Indianajons

Post by Indianajons » Fri May 07, 2021 1:45 pm

[quote=Nuttyspark post_id=112258 time=1620376107 user_id=5440
Not sure if traffic lights would be classed as an extended period. Obviously if traffic was at a complete standstill I would then select neutral and put the park brake on! :D
[/quote]

I think anything over 3 minutes would warrant selecting neutral
2017 MY tempest grey Portfolio 180D, folding mirrors, 14 way seats, memory pack, cold weather pack, 360 parking, wi-fi hotspot