Incorrect Diesel Exhaust Fluid quality detected

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
Penny07915

Re: Incorrect Diesel Exhaust Fluid quality detected

Post by Penny07915 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:05 pm

Hi Tim

Thanks for your kind words.

I only used a very cheap OBD scanner, but it was very simple to use and find the fault codes.

Meta1958

Post by Meta1958 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:06 pm

Thank you for the information provided. I had a lot of issues with this when my car was under warranty and thought it was finally solved a couple of years ago when Jaguar did a thorough check and changed the DEF injector and catalytic converter (at least that is what they say they did)

The incorrect DEF quality message appeared again last week (so two years on).
I took it to my local mechanic who took off the DEF injector and cleaned out the crystals that were filling it up.
He reinstalled it and reset the error messages, but was left with the dosing error message and 500 odd miles to go before no restarts.
He was unsure how to proceed so I took the car home.
After reading this post, I decided to buy a cheap OBD2 meter which I ordered click and collect.
On my way home from picking it up, the error code cleared and has stayed clear.
I had driven about 15-20 miles.
I haven't yet tested if the cheap OBD2 meter would have worked with clearing any messages.

My conclusion (with no Jaguar or other formal information) is that the DEF injector clogs up over time and the engine management system has to increase the dosing to try and keep NOX readings in specification.
Eventually enough DEF can't get through and the DEF quality error is posted.
The DEF injector is cleaned, after which the dosing is not immediately correct, but over the course of those 15-20 miles of driving, the management system adjusts itself and the fault clears.

So just posting to confirm that sometimes this error can be relatively cheap to fix as per the original post scenarios.

Missy007

Post by Missy007 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:08 pm

Hi Mike
I now have the same problem.
Is there an OBD ii meter you would recommend, as the prices vary wildly.
Many thanks for your very clear explanation about how to clear problem.
Regards
Steve

Penny07915

Post by Penny07915 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:01 am

When I asked the same question on forums I was told “make sure you can get one that can clear emisión faults.”

Hope this helps.